SJ Preschool builds school readiness.
It is a time to master new skills and develop positive self-esteem!
Want to “C” how? Think Confidence, Curiosity, Character, Cooperation, and Communication!
The best part is that SJ Preschool is rooted in play!
Your children will have fun as they learn the skills they will need in life.
2.5-Pre-Kindergarten classes are designed to...
1. Broaden the child's scope in a supportive, nurturing environment.
2. Develop a sense of cooperation in playing with other children and begin to understand the feelings of others.
3. Encourage the development of communication skills.
4. Develop coordination in both large and small muscles.
5. Begin a lasting appreciation for music, art and literature.
6. Help each child develop independence and self-help in an atmosphere of love and cooperation with others.
7. Encourage each child to develop their own natural curiosity.
8. Develop the use of the five senses to enhance learning experiences.
9. Develop the child's awareness in number concepts, auditory and visual discriminations and auditory memory.
10. Encourage and develop the spiritual dimension of the child's life. It is our hope that each child will develop a real joy for learning that he or she will carry on throughout life.
Transitional Kindergarten class is designed to...
1. Gain confidence and self-assurance translating into a desire to learn and take risks.
2. Bridge the whimsy of childhood with the academics kids can expect in the Kindergarten year. (School Readiness).
3. Provide a classroom environment which surrounds children with written language that is meaningful to them, laying the groundwork for becoming an avid reader.
4. Provide basic principles underlying written language—the alphabetic principle.
5. Instruction is systematic and sequential — “learning builds on learning.”
6. Introduce children to aspects of their immediate world.
7. Begin a lasting appreciation for music and art by providing opportunities for exploration.
8. Provide daily exposure to age-appropriate math concepts and operations.
9. Emphasis on learning the fundamentals of math, reading and writing.
10. Balanced mix of play and structured learning meeting state benchmarks and standards.
11. Support children with positive social/emotional tools in a Christian setting.
Our transitional kindergarten curriculum includes the following subjects: Math, Social Studies, Science, Reading, Writing, Music and Art in a loving environment that is engaging, fun, supportive and challenging.
Overall Philosophy of our classes...
St. James is child centered and based on the belief that play is the best way for children to learn. Children are encouraged to choose freely from a wide range of play and learning experiences, including...
creative expression through the media of movement
musical rhythms and art
development of manipulative skills and motor coordination through puzzles, carpentry, blocks, and climbing equipment
the increase of knowledge through special events, cooking and science activities
the integration of sensory skills through water, sand, and play dough as well as other sensory experiences
the growth of language skills through stories, songs, and dramatic play and the development of the spiritual dimension through daily prayers, Christian stories and songs.
It is a balanced program, offering both child-directed and teacher-directed activities. The daily schedule includes free choice of time spent in learning centers, as well as group times for creative movement, music, storytelling, and dramatization.