Transitional Kindergarten Program
Our Transitional Kindergarten class is a 4 day program primarily designed for children with summer or early fall birthdays to provide an extra year in the preschool setting before moving into Kindergarten. It is designed to accomplish the following objectives:
- Gain confidence and self-assurance translating into a desire to learn and take risks.
- Bridge the play based approach of preschool with the more structured environment kids can expect in the Kindergarten year. (School Readiness).
- Provide a classroom environment that surrounds children with written language that is meaningful to them, laying the groundwork for becoming an avid reader.
- Provide basic principles underlying written language—the alphabetic principle.
- Offer instruction which is systematic and sequential — “learning builds on learning.”
- Begin a lasting appreciation for music and art by providing opportunities for exploration.
- Provide daily exposure to age-appropriate math concepts and operations.
- Emphasize learning the fundamentals of math, reading, and writing.
- Offer a balanced mix of play and structured learning meeting state benchmarks and standards.
- Support children with positive social/emotional tools in a Christian setting.
Parents receive a weekly Connection Letter from teachers that describes the activities that have taken place in the classroom throughout the week. This letter provides a bridge between home and school that allows parents to get a snapshot of what their children have been learning and what they can reinforce at home.